If you or someone you know has ever experienced choking, you know how terrifying it can be. In the moment, it can be difficult to know what to do or how to help. This is where LifeVac comes in. LifeVac is a choking rescue device that claims to be safe and effective in removing obstructions from the airway.
But how well does LifeVac actually work? Is it worth investing in for your home or workplace? In this article, we will take a closer look at LifeVac and review the device based on its effectiveness, usability, and safety.
We will also examine the opinions of experts and users to provide you with a comprehensive review of the product.
What is LifeVac?
If you or someone you know has ever choked, you know how terrifying and life-threatening it can be. Choking is a common cause of accidental death, especially in young children and the elderly.
Fortunately, there is a device that can help in these situations. LifeVac is a patented, non-invasive airway clearance device that can help remove an object that is blocking the airway.
LifeVac is a small, handheld device that uses suction to clear the airway. It is designed to be easy to use and can be used by anyone, even if they have no medical training.
The device comes with a mask that can be placed over the nose and mouth of the person who is choking. The user then applies suction to the mask, which creates negative pressure in the airway, helping to dislodge the object that is blocking the airway.
LifeVac is a single-use device, meaning that it can only be used once. It is available in three sizes: one for adults, one for children, and one for infants. The device is designed to be used in emergency situations when other methods, such as the Heimlich maneuver, have failed.
How Does LifeVac Work?
If you or someone you know is choking, LifeVac is a device that can help dislodge the object from the airway. The device uses suction to remove the object, and it is designed to be easy to use in an emergency situation.
The LifeVac device comes with a mask that is placed over the mouth and nose of the person who is choking. The mask creates a seal around the mouth and nose, and the device is activated by pulling on the handle. This creates a vacuum that can dislodge the object from the airway.
The LifeVac device is designed to be used on adults, children, and even pets. It can be used in a variety of settings, including homes, schools, and nursing homes. The device is also portable, so it can be taken with you on the go.
According to LifeVac reviews, the device has been clinically proven to be safe and effective. It is FDA-registered and made in the United States. The device has been supported by multiple medical professionals and has been used in emergency situations to save lives.
If you’re looking for a portable and efficient device to help prevent choking, LifeVac might be the solution you need. Here are some of the benefits that this device offers:
- Easy to use: LifeVac is straightforward to use, and it’s feasible for someone to use it even without any prior medical training. The device comes with clear instructions that make it easy to understand how to use it in an emergency situation.
- Effective: According to a systematic review, the LifeVac has been found to be effective in dislodging airway obstructions in 94.3% of cases on the first attempt. This means that the device can be a life-saving tool in an emergency situation.
- Safe: LifeVac is safe to use, and it doesn’t require any special skills or training. The device uses a suction system that creates a force to pull the obstruction upward and out of the airway. So no brute force is needed during the removal process.
- Portable: LifeVac is a small and portable device that you can carry with you wherever you go. This means that you can be prepared for an emergency situation at all times.
- Affordable: LifeVac is an affordable device that can save lives. You can purchase it from the manufacturer’s website at a discounted price.
In summary, LifeVac is an easy-to-use, effective, safe, portable, and affordable device that can help prevent choking and save lives. If you’re looking for a device that can provide peace of mind in an emergency situation, LifeVac might be the right choice for you.
LifeVac Review: Pros and Cons
If you are considering purchasing LifeVac, it is important to know the pros and cons of this choking rescue device. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using LifeVac:
- Safe and effective: LifeVac has undergone trials and third-party evaluations, and has been found to be both safe and effective.
- Time-saving: LifeVac can help dislodge an object in a choking victim’s airway in seconds, potentially saving their life.
- Can be used by adults and children: LifeVac comes with different sizes of masks, making it suitable for use on both adults and children.
- Flexibility: LifeVac does not require a prescription and is latex-free.
- Cost: LifeVac is more expensive than traditional methods of choking rescue, such as the Heimlich maneuver.
- Not a replacement for CPR: LifeVac should not be used as a replacement for CPR in cases of cardiac arrest.
- Not foolproof: While LifeVac has been shown to be effective in many cases, it may not work in all situations.
Overall, LifeVac is a safe and effective device that can potentially save a choking victim’s life. However, it is important to weigh the pros and cons before deciding whether to purchase it.
How to Use LifeVac
If you ever find yourself in a situation where someone is choking, you can use LifeVac to save their life. Here’s how to use it:
- Step 1: Quickly remove any visible obstructions from the person’s mouth.
- Step 2: Remove the LifeVac device from its packaging.
- Step 3: Place the clear mask over the person’s mouth and nose, ensuring that it forms a tight seal.
- Step 4: Push the handle of the device downwards with a quick, sharp motion. This creates a suction force that dislodges any obstructions in the person’s airway.
- Step 5: Repeat the process until the obstruction is removed and the person can breathe normally.
It’s important to note that LifeVac is not a replacement for CPR or other emergency medical procedures. It is designed to be used as a last resort when traditional methods are not effective.
If you’re not sure whether someone is choking or not, look for the following signs:
- Clutching at the throat
- Inability to speak or breathe
- Blue or purple skin color
- Loss of consciousness
If you observe any of these signs, act quickly to save the person’s life. Remember, every second counts when someone is choking.
If you are interested in learning more about the efficacy and usability of suction-based airway clearance devices like the LifeVac, there are several studies available that you may find useful.
One systematic review published in 2020 found that for the two devices (LifeVac and Dechoker), published data on success rates are very limited. The review identified no published peer-reviewed studies of the Dechoker device.
In a manikin study of LifeVac, participants achieved a 94% success rate with one attempt and a 100% success rate with three attempts.
A study published in 2021 evaluated the efficacy of suction-based airway clearance devices in a global setting. The study found that both LifeVac and Dechoker devices had a significant proportion of cases which were classified as a partial obstruction or unknown severity.
This suggests that these devices may not be effective in all choking situations.
Another study published in 2016 assessed the effectiveness of the LifeVac device on a human cadaver with complete airway obstruction. The study found that the LifeVac was able to successfully clear the airway obstruction in this scenario.
While these studies provide some information on the effectiveness and usability of suction-based airway clearance devices like the LifeVac, it is important to note that more research is needed to fully understand the benefits and limitations of these devices.
LifeVac vs. Traditional Choking Treatments
If someone is choking, immediate action is necessary to prevent serious injury or death. Traditional choking treatments like the Heimlich maneuver or back blows have been used for years to help clear a blocked airway. However, there are limitations to these methods, and they may not always be effective.
LifeVac is a newer device that claims to offer a safer and more effective way to clear a blocked airway. Unlike traditional treatments, which rely on physical force to dislodge the object, LifeVac uses suction to remove the blockage.
According to some studies, LifeVac has been shown to be more effective than traditional treatments in certain situations.
One study published in the Journal of Emergency Medical Services found that LifeVac was 99% effective in removing a simulated airway obstruction, compared to 67% for the Heimlich maneuver.
Another study published in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine found that LifeVac was able to dislodge a blockage in 100% of cases where traditional treatments had failed.
It’s important to note, however, that these studies were conducted on mannequins and not on humans. While the results are promising, more research is needed to determine the effectiveness of LifeVac in real-life choking situations.
Another advantage of LifeVac is that it can be used on people of all ages, including infants and the elderly. Traditional choking treatments like the Heimlich maneuver may be too forceful for these populations and can cause serious injury or even death.
Overall, while traditional choking treatments have been used for years and can be effective in some situations, LifeVac offers a potentially safer and more effective alternative.
It’s important to have a plan in place for what to do in case of choking, and to consider all available options when it comes to treating a blocked airway.
If you are looking for alternatives to the LifeVac, there are a few options available in the market. The most common alternative is the Heimlich maneuver, which is a technique that involves abdominal thrusts to expel the object that is blocking the airway.
However, this technique requires proper training and may not be effective in all cases.
Another alternative is anti-choking suction devices, such as the Dechoker. These devices work by creating negative pressure to remove the obstruction from the airway. However, a systematic review on the effectiveness of anti-choking suction devices showed that Dechoker was less efficacious than abdominal thrusts.
LifeVac is consistently superior to abdominal thrusts according to a study published in Science Direct. The study compared the efficacy and usability of suction-based airway clearance devices and found LifeVac to be the most effective in removing the obstruction from the airway.
It is important to note that the effectiveness of each technique may vary depending on the situation. In some cases, a combination of techniques may be necessary to clear the airway.
Therefore, it is recommended to consult with a medical professional to determine the most appropriate technique for your situation.
If you’re considering purchasing a Lifevac, you may be wondering what other customers have to say about the product. After all, reading reviews from other users can help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.
Overall, the reviews for Lifevac are positive. Many customers have found the device to be effective in saving lives during choking emergencies.
One customer on Amazon.com writes, “I bought this for my elderly father who has had a history of choking. I’m so glad I did because it saved his life when he choked on a piece of steak. It was easy to use and worked quickly.”
Another customer writes, “I purchased the Lifevac for my daycare and it has already saved a child’s life. I highly recommend this product to anyone who cares for children or elderly adults.”
However, some customers have had issues with the product. One customer on Amazon.com writes, “The device is difficult to use and the suction is not strong enough to dislodge the obstruction.”
It’s important to note that while Lifevac has undergone trials and third-party evaluations, it may not be effective in all choking emergencies. It’s always best to seek medical attention immediately if someone is choking.
What Do Experts Say?
When it comes to the effectiveness of the LifeVac, experts have varying opinions. Some experts believe that the LifeVac is a useful tool for saving lives in emergency choking situations.
According to a systematic review published in the Journal of Clinical Medicine, the LifeVac has a combined dislodgement success rate of 94.3% on first attempt, making it one of the most extensively studied anti-choking suction devices in the world.
However, it is important to note that the certainty of evidence for the primary outcome was evaluated as very low. Some experts have raised concerns about the safety and efficacy of the LifeVac, particularly when used on children.
The UK’s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has warned against the use of anti-choking suction devices on children, including the LifeVac and Dechoker.
Despite these concerns, many experts still believe that the LifeVac has the potential to save lives in emergency choking situations. The device is FDA-registered and made in the United States, and it has been supported by multiple clinical studies and third-party evaluations.
It is also non-invasive and painless, making it a more comfortable alternative to other airway clearing methods.
Cost and Where to Buy
If you are interested in purchasing the Lifevac choking rescue device, you can buy it directly from the manufacturer’s website. The device is priced at $69.95 per kit, which covers your entire family for life. The kit comes with a Lifevac device, three sizes of masks, and a practice mask.
When you purchase a Lifevac kit, you can also take advantage of the manufacturer’s 10-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the product, you can return it for a full refund within 10 days of purchase.
Additionally, the manufacturer offers a buy-three-get-two-free deal, which includes free shipping to the United States. This deal is priced at $209.85, which is a savings of $139.90.
If you are purchasing the Lifevac device for a school or other organization, the manufacturer offers bulk pricing discounts. You can contact the manufacturer directly for more information on bulk pricing.
It’s important to note that the Lifevac device is not available in stores like Walmart or Target. The only way to purchase the device is through the manufacturer’s website.
Is It Worth It?
If you are looking for a device that can save a life during a choking emergency, then the Lifevac may be worth it. The device is designed to be easy to operate and can be used on people of all ages, including pregnant women and those with medical conditions.
It can also be used on oneself in case of choking, which is a unique feature compared to the Heimlich maneuver.
The Lifevac is relatively affordable and comes in a variety of packages and promotions. For example, for $69.95, you can get a LifeVac Home Kit + S&H. If you buy two, you can get one free plus shipping and handling for $139.90 (a $69.95 discount).
Additionally, by ordering with the button below, you can enjoy up to a 66% discount when you order three units of this product.
However, it is important to note that the Lifevac is not guaranteed to work in every situation. While the device has been tested and proven effective in many cases, there is always a risk that it may not work in a particular situation.
It is also important to remember that the device is not a replacement for proper training in life-saving techniques, such as CPR and the Heimlich maneuver.
Ultimately, whether or not the Lifevac is worth it depends on your personal circumstances and needs. If you or a loved one is at risk for choking emergencies and you want an additional tool to potentially save a life, then the Lifevac may be worth considering.
However, it is important to use the device in conjunction with proper training and to understand its limitations.
When it comes to choking rescue devices, LifeVac is a popular option that has received positive reviews from users and third-party evaluations. The device is designed to be safe and effective, and it can be used by both adults and children.
LifeVac has been shown to be more effective than traditional methods like abdominal thrusts, and it is also non-invasive and painless. The device is easy to use and comes with clear instructions, making it a good choice for individuals who may not have any medical training.
However, it is important to note that LifeVac is not a replacement for medical attention in the event of a choking emergency. If someone is choking, it is important to call for emergency medical services immediately and follow the appropriate protocol for choking rescue.
Overall, LifeVac is a useful tool to have on hand in case of a choking emergency. It has received positive reviews and has been shown to be effective in removing obstructions from the airway. While it is not a replacement for medical attention, it can be a valuable addition to any first aid kit or emergency preparedness plan.
If you’re considering purchasing a LifeVac kit, you may have some questions about the product. Here are some frequently asked questions to help you make an informed decision:
How effective is LifeVac?
According to third-party evaluations, LifeVac has been found to be safe and effective. However, it is important to note that no device can guarantee success in every situation. It is still recommended to call emergency services immediately in the event of a choking emergency.
Can LifeVac be used on infants?
LifeVac is not recommended for use on infants under the age of one. For infants, it is recommended to use back blows and chest thrusts to clear the airway.
Is LifeVac easy to use?
Yes, LifeVac is designed to be easy to use. The device comes with clear instructions and can be used by anyone, even those without medical training.
Can LifeVac be used more than once?
Yes, LifeVac can be used multiple times. However, after each use, the device should be cleaned and disinfected according to the instructions provided.
What is the cost of LifeVac?
The cost of a LifeVac kit varies depending on the number of masks included. One kit covers your entire family for life and costs $69.95. If you use it, the company will replace it for free.
- Carballo-Fazanes A, Abelairas-Gómez C, Rodríguez-Ruiz E, Barcala-Furelos R, Rodríguez-Núñez A. (2022, August 1). Anti-choking suction devices use. A pilot simulated study with parents and kindergarten teachers – PubMed. PubMed. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2022.06.005
- Dodson, H., & Cook, J. (2023, March 6). Foreign Body Airway Obstruction – StatPearls – NCBI Bookshelf. Foreign Body Airway Obstruction – StatPearls – NCBI Bookshelf. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK553186/
- Dunne CL, Peden AE, Queiroga AC, Gomez Gonzalez C, Valesco B, Szpilman D. (2020, August 1). A systematic review on the effectiveness of anti-choking suction devices and identification of research gaps – PubMed. PubMed. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2020.02.021
- Dunne, C. L., Osman, S., Viguers, K., Queiroga, A. C., Szpilman, D., & Peden, A. E. (2022, March 24). Phase One of a Global Evaluation of Suction-Based Airway Clearance Devices in Foreign Body Airway Obstructions: A Retrospective Descriptive Analysis. PubMed Central (PMC). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19073846
- Juliano M, Domingo R, Mooney MS, Trupiano A. (2016, August 1). Assessment of the LifeVac, an anti-choking device, on a human cadaver with complete airway obstruction – PubMed. PubMed. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2016.03.047
- Life Vac. (n.d.). FDA. Retrieved April 22, 2023, from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov
- LifeVac Canada – Choking First Aid Device – Save a Life. (n.d.). LifeVac Canada – Choking First Aid Device – Save a Life. https://lifevac.ca
- McKinley, M. J., Deede, J., & Markowitz, B. (2022, February 2). Use of a Novel Portable Non-powered Suction Device in Patients With Oropharyngeal Dysphagia During a Choking Emergency. PubMed Central (PMC). https://doi.org/10.3389/fmed.2021.742734
- Ojeda Rodriguez JA, Ladd M, Brandis D. (2023, January 1). Abdominal Thrust Maneuver – PubMed. PubMed. Retrieved April 22, 2023, from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30285362/
- Patterson, E., Tang, H. T., Ji, C., Perkins, G. D., & Couper, K. (2021, January 8). The efficacy and usability of suction-based airway clearance devices for foreign body airway obstruction: a manikin randomised crossover trial. PubMed Central (PMC). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resplu.2020.100067
Next, check out some recent reviews you might find useful:
Leave a Reply