Table of Contents
If you’re looking for a new hair color, Madison Reed is a popular option to consider. This brand offers a range of hair colors that are free of harmful chemicals, making it a safer choice for your hair.
In this Madison Reed Hair Review, we’ll take a closer look at the brand and its products to help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.
Madison Reed hair color is free of ammonia, PPD, resorcinol, parabens, phthalates, gluten, SLS, and titanium dioxide. This means that you can color your hair without damaging it, and the result is healthier, shinier hair.
The brand also offers a variety of shades to choose from, so you can find the perfect color for your hair type and skin tone.
But is Madison Reed really worth the price? In this review, we’ll explore the pros and cons of the brand, as well as what customers have to say about their experiences with the products.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a first-time hair color user, this review will help you make an informed decision about whether Madison Reed is the right choice for you.
What is Madison Reed Hair?
If you’re looking for a high-quality hair coloring product that is free of harmful chemicals, Madison Reed Hair might be just what you need. This at-home hair coloring brand was founded in 2013 by Amy Errett, who wanted to create a line of hair products that were both safe and effective.
The company offers a variety of hair coloring options, including permanent hair color, root touch-up kits, and glosses.
One of the unique features of Madison Reed Hair is that it is free of many of the harsh chemicals that are typically found in hair coloring products. For example, their formulas are free of ammonia, PPD, resorcinol, parabens, phthalates, gluten, SLS, and titanium dioxide.
This means that you can color your hair without worrying about damaging your hair or exposing yourself to harmful chemicals.
Madison Reed Hair also offers a wide range of colors to choose from, so you can find the perfect shade to match your skin tone and personal style. Their website provides a Color Advisor tool that can help you choose the right shade for your hair.
Additionally, they offer a subscription service that can help you save money on your hair coloring products and ensure that you always have the products you need on hand.
Madison Reed Hair Products
Madison Reed offers a variety of hair products that are free of harsh chemicals and are designed to help you achieve your desired hair color and maintain it. Let’s take a closer look at some of their most popular products.
Permanent Hair Color
Madison Reed’s permanent hair color is a great option for those who want to change their hair color for the long term. Their formula is free of ammonia, parabens, resorcinol, PPD, phthalates, and gluten, making it a healthier choice for your hair.
The color is also infused with keratin, argan oil, and ginseng root extract, which help to nourish and strengthen your hair.
Their hair color comes in a wide range of shades, from natural-looking browns and blondes to bold reds and purples. The color is easy to apply at home, and the kit includes everything you need, including gloves and a cap.
Root Touch Up
If you’re looking for a quick fix for your roots, Madison Reed’s root touch up is a great option. Their formula is designed to cover grays and blend seamlessly with your existing hair color. It’s also free of harsh chemicals, making it a healthier choice for your hair.
The root touch up comes in a variety of shades and is easy to apply at home. The compact size makes it convenient to carry with you for touch-ups on the go.
Color Reviving Gloss
Madison Reed’s color reviving gloss is a great way to refresh your hair color between coloring sessions. The formula is free of ammonia and peroxide, making it a safer choice for your hair. It’s also infused with keratin, argan oil, and ginseng root extract, which help to nourish and strengthen your hair.
The color reviving gloss comes in a variety of shades and is easy to apply at home. It’s a great way to add shine and vibrancy to your hair without damaging it.
Hair Care Products
Madison Reed offers a variety of hair care products that are designed to help you maintain your hair color and keep your hair healthy. Their products are free of harsh chemicals and are infused with natural ingredients that help to nourish and strengthen your hair.
Some of their most popular hair care products include shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask. These products are designed to work together to keep your hair looking and feeling its best.
Madison Reed Hair Review
If you’re looking for a high-quality at-home hair color brand, Madison Reed is worth considering. Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect from the brand, including their overall experience, quality and effectiveness of products, color matching, and cost.
Madison Reed offers a user-friendly website that makes it easy to find the right hair color for you. They provide a quiz that asks about your hair type, color, and desired results to help you find the perfect shade. The website also provides detailed instructions and videos to help you apply the hair color at home.
Quality of Products
Madison Reed’s hair color products are free of harsh chemicals like ammonia, PPD, and parabens, making them a healthier option for your hair. The brand also offers a range of hair care products that are designed to keep your color looking fresh and vibrant.
Effectiveness of Products
Overall, Madison Reed’s hair color products are effective at delivering long-lasting color that looks natural and vibrant. However, some users have reported that the color can fade faster than expected, especially if you have previously colored or damaged hair.
Madison Reed’s color matching system is designed to help you find the perfect shade for your hair. The quiz on their website takes into account your natural hair color, skin tone, and desired results to recommend the best shade for you.
However, some users have reported that the color can come out darker or lighter than expected, so it’s important to follow the instructions carefully and do a strand test before applying the color all over your hair.
Madison Reed’s hair color products are priced higher than some other at-home hair color brands, but they offer a higher quality product that is better for your hair. The brand also offers a subscription service that can save you money if you plan to color your hair regularly.
Overall, Madison Reed is a great option for those looking for a high-quality at-home hair color brand that is free of harsh chemicals. While the products may be more expensive than some other brands, the quality and effectiveness of the products make them worth the investment.
If you’re concerned about the ingredients in your hair dye, you’ll be happy to know that Madison Reed’s Permanent Hair Color is free of ammonia, PPD, resorcinol, parabens, phthalates, gluten, SLS, and titanium dioxide.
Instead, the colors are made with ingredients like keratin, argan oil, and ginseng extract, which are packed with hair-loving nutrients.
For example, keratin is a protein that is naturally found in hair and helps to strengthen and protect it.
Argan oil is a nourishing oil that is high in antioxidants and fatty acids, which can help to moisturize and protect hair from damage. Ginseng extract is known for its ability to stimulate hair growth and improve circulation to the scalp.
Madison Reed also uses ethanolamine instead of ammonia to help give predictable, permanent color without the strong odor and irritation that can come with ammonia-based dyes.
Toluene-2,5-diamine sulfate and 2-methylresorcinol are used instead of PPD and resorcinol, respectively, which can also cause irritation and allergic reactions in some people.
If you’re looking for a hair dye that is gentle on your hair and scalp, Madison Reed’s Permanent Hair Color is definitely worth considering. With its nourishing ingredients and free-from formula, you can feel good about coloring your hair without compromising your health.
What do Experts Say
When it comes to hair color, it’s always wise to listen to the experts. Madison Reed has received positive reviews from beauty bloggers and publications alike.
Many experts praise the brand’s commitment to using high-quality ingredients that are free from harsh chemicals like ammonia and parabens. This means that Madison Reed hair color is less damaging to your hair than traditional salon dyes.
Beauty editors have also noted the wide range of shades available from Madison Reed. With over 50 shades to choose from, there’s a color to suit everyone. The brand also offers a color quiz on their website to help you find your perfect shade.
One thing that sets Madison Reed apart from other at-home hair color brands is their Color Reviving Gloss. This product is designed to refresh and enhance your hair color between dye jobs. Experts have praised the gloss for its easy application and ability to add shine and dimension to hair.
Overall, experts agree that Madison Reed is a great option for those looking for salon-quality hair color at home. The brand’s commitment to using high-quality ingredients and offering a wide range of shades has earned them high marks from beauty experts.
If you’re considering trying Madison Reed for your hair coloring needs, there are several benefits to keep in mind. Here are some of the top advantages of using Madison Reed:
- Wide range of colors: Madison Reed offers a wide range of colors to choose from, so you can find the perfect shade for your hair.
- Personalized hair color quiz: Madison Reed’s hair color quiz can help you find the best color for your hair type and skin tone.
- Ammonia-free: Madison Reed’s hair color is ammonia-free, which can be gentler on your hair and scalp.
- Cruelty-free: Madison Reed is a cruelty-free brand, so you can feel good about using their products.
- Free of harmful chemicals: Madison Reed’s hair color is free of parabens, gluten, and phthalates, which can be harmful to your hair and health.
- Membership perks: If you sign up for Madison Reed’s membership program, you can enjoy perks like free shipping and discounts on products.
- Salon-quality results: Madison Reed’s hair color is designed to give you salon-quality results at home, so you can save time and money.
With all of these benefits, it’s no wonder that Madison Reed has become a popular choice for at-home hair coloring. Whether you’re looking to cover grays, try a new shade, or just touch up your roots, Madison Reed has something for everyone.
If Madison Reed Hair Review isn’t for you, there are plenty of other options available to help you achieve your desired hair color. Here are a few alternatives:
- Naturtint: This brand offers a variety of hair color options that are free of harsh chemicals such as ammonia, resorcinol, and parabens. They also use plant-based ingredients to nourish and protect your hair during the coloring process.
- Henna: Henna is a natural dye made from the leaves of the henna plant. It’s been used for centuries to color hair and is a great option for those looking for a natural alternative to traditional hair dyes. Henna can provide a range of shades from red to black, depending on your natural hair color.
- Overtone: If you’re looking for a temporary hair color solution, Overtone is a great option. They offer a range of vibrant shades that can be applied to your hair at home. The color lasts for several washes and can be reapplied as needed to maintain your desired shade.
It’s important to note that while these alternatives may be gentler on your hair than traditional hair dyes, they may not provide the same level of coverage or longevity. It’s important to do your research and choose a product that aligns with your hair goals and preferences.
How to Use Madison Reed Hair Products
If you’re new to Madison Reed hair products, you might be wondering how to use them. Fortunately, their products are easy to use and come with clear instructions. Here’s a quick guide:
- Start by selecting the right product for your hair type and desired result. Madison Reed offers a range of hair color, gloss, and styling products to choose from.
- Before using any hair color product, do a patch test to make sure you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients. Apply a small amount of the product to your skin and wait 48 hours to see if there’s any reaction.
- Follow the instructions included with your product carefully. Madison Reed hair color kits come with everything you need, including gloves, color, developer, and conditioner. Simply mix the color and developer together, apply to your hair, and wait for the recommended amount of time before rinsing out and applying the conditioner.
- If you’re using a gloss, apply to clean, damp hair and leave on for 5-20 minutes depending on the desired intensity. Rinse out thoroughly and style as usual.
- For styling products, such as mousse or hairspray, apply to damp or dry hair and style as desired.
Remember to always read the instructions and follow them carefully to achieve the best results. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to Madison Reed’s customer service team for assistance.
Conclusion – Is it Worth it?
After conducting thorough research and analyzing customer reviews, it’s safe to say that Madison Reed hair color is definitely worth trying out. With over 50 shades to choose from, there is a color for everyone, and the sulfate-free formula is gentle on your hair while also locking in color.
Additionally, the range of shades allows you to find a near-perfect match for your hair, whether you’re looking for rich dimensional blacks, browns, and reds or blondes.
Many customers have reported that the color results are better than other at-home hair dye brands, and that their hair appears softer and shinier after using Madison Reed products.
The sulfate-free formula of Madison Reed Shampoo + Conditioner effectively cleanses, hydrates, and strengthens your hair’s natural proteins without stripping it of color, leaving it incredibly soft and shiny.
While some customers have reported issues with late deliveries or receiving the wrong color, overall, Madison Reed has a positive reputation for customer service and satisfaction.
If you’re looking for a high-quality, at-home hair dye brand that is gentle on your hair and provides long-lasting color, Madison Reed is definitely worth considering.
If you’re considering using Madison Reed hair color, you might have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions:
How long does Madison Reed hair color last?
The longevity of Madison Reed hair color depends on several factors, such as how often you wash your hair, how much sun exposure you get, and how often you use heat styling tools. Generally, Madison Reed hair color lasts between 4-6 weeks.
Can I use Madison Reed hair color if I have gray hair?
Yes, Madison Reed hair color is suitable for covering gray hair. They have a specific line called “Root Touch Up” that is designed to cover gray roots. Additionally, their permanent hair color is formulated to cover gray hair.
Is Madison Reed hair color safe?
Madison Reed hair color is formulated without harsh chemicals such as ammonia, resorcinol, and parabens. They use ingredients such as keratin, argan oil, and ginseng root extract to nourish and strengthen hair.
However, it’s always important to do a patch test before using any hair color product, especially if you have sensitive skin or allergies.
Can I use Madison Reed hair color on previously colored hair?
Yes, you can use Madison Reed hair color on previously colored hair. However, it’s important to note that the end result may not be the same as if you were applying the hair color to virgin hair.
Additionally, if you have previously used henna or metallic dyes on your hair, it’s recommended to consult with a professional before using Madison Reed hair color.
What if I’m not happy with the results?
Madison Reed offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not happy with the results, you can contact their customer service team for assistance with getting a refund or exchange.
1. Patel D, Narayana S, Krishnaswamy B. Trends in use of hair dye: A cross-sectional study. International Journal of Trichology. 2013;5(3):140. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3927172/
2. Naishadham P, Sushma P, Dasika R, Tangirala S, Tangirala S. Evaluation of organic hair dye formulation by an environment friendly process. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013;21:152-157. https://globalresearchonline.net/journalcontents/v21-2/28.pdf
3. Draelos ZD. A clinical evaluation of a permanent hair dye designed to reduce allergic contact dermatitis and hair damage. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2022;21(9):3925-3928. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jocd.15212
4. Cui H, Xie W, Hua Z, et al. Recent advancements in natural plant colorants used for hair dye applications: A review. Molecules. 2022;27(22):8062. https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/27/22/8062
5. Dias MFRG. Hair cosmetics: An overview. International Journal of Trichology. 2015;7(1):2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387693/
6. Shahi Z, Mehrizi MK, Hadizadeh M. A review of the natural resources used to hair color and hair care products. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2017;9(7):1026. https://www.jpsr.pharmainfo.in701.pdf
7. Da França SA, Dario MF, Esteves VB, Baby AR, Velasco MVR. Types of hair dye and their mechanisms of action. Cosmetics. 2015;2(2):110-126. https://www.mdpi.com/2079-9284/2/2/110
8. Madnani N, Khan K. Hair cosmetics. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology. 2013;79:654. https://ijdvl.com/hair-cosmetics/
9. Gray J. Hair care and hair care products. Clinics in Dermatology. 2001;19(2):227-236. https://www.cidjournal.com/article
10. Harrison S, Sinclair R. Hair colouring, permanent styling and hair structure. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2003;2(3‐4):180-185. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1473-2130.2004.00064.x
11. Fujii T. Hair keratin film as a substitute device for human hair: Application in hair care science. Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2012;12(1):3-15. https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jbm/12/1/12_3/_article/-char/ja/
12. Faria PM, Camargo LN, Carvalho RSH, Paludetti LA, Velasco MVR, da Gama RM. Hair protective effect of Argan oil (Argania spinosa Kernel oil) and Cupuassu butter (Theobroma grandiflorum seed butter) post treatment with hair dye. Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications. 2013;3(03):40. https://www.scirp.org/html/36776.html
13. Young‐Dae K, Chang‐Kew K, Chung‐Nam L, Byung‐Jo H. Hydrolysed ginseng‐saponin quaternary: A novel conditioning agent for hair care products. International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 1989;11(5):203-220. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-2494.1989.tb00510.x
14. Zhu H-j, Yang Y-w, Zhang W-q, Zhu Y. Determination of 22 components in hair dyes by high performance liquid chromatography. Chinese Journal of Chromatography. 2008;26(5):554-558. https://europepmc.org/article/med/19160752
15. Newburger AE. Cosmeceuticals: Myths and misconceptions. Clinics in Dermatology. 2009;27(5):446-452. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0738081X09001230
16. Bhuvaneswari SS, Prabha T, Begum SS, et al. Formulation and evaluation, comparison of herbal hair dye with marketed formulation. Annals of Phytomedicine. 2021;10(2):175-181. https://www.researchgate.net/
Next, check out some recent reviews you might find useful: