Table of Contents
About Ren Skincare
Ren Skincare is a brand that focuses on providing clean and effective skincare products using sustainably sourced and natural ingredients. Their mission is to offer products that deliver visible results without harming the skin or the environment. Ren Skincare is committed to using clean and eco-friendly packaging and aims to become a zero-waste brand.
Ren Skincare offers a range of products that target various skin concerns, including the Glow and Protect Serum and the Radiance Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream.
The Glow and Protect Serum is a lightweight serum that helps to protect the skin from environmental stressors while providing a radiant glow. It contains natural bio-actives like vitamin C, magnesium, and other fruits, which work together to even out the skin tone and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
The Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream is a moisturizing eye cream that helps to reduce the appearance of dark circles, puffiness, and fine lines around the eyes. It contains natural ingredients like hyaluronate, vitamin C, and elderberry extract, which work together to hydrate, brighten, and rejuvenate the delicate skin around the eyes.
3 Health Benefits of Glow and Protect Serum and Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream
These REN products contain several ingredients that can benefit your skin.
1. Bright and Glowing Skin
The Glow and Protect Serum contains Kakadu plums and Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, which are rich in vitamin C.
Kakadu plums contain the highest recorded natural amount of vitamin C of any food in the world. Vitamin C helps stimulate collagen synthesis and provides antioxidant protection against UV-induced photodamage. Vitamin C can also help to fade dark spots and hyperpigmentation by inhibiting melanin production.
The elderflower in the eye cream is also rich in antioxidants that protect against free radical damage, including damage caused by the sun. It also promotes blood circulation and contains high amounts of vitamins A, B, C, and E. These nutrients can help make the skin firmer, improve complexion, and even out skin tone. It also protects against UV radiation.
Elderflower has a particular benefit for those struggling with dark circles under the eyes, as it brightens the skin and reduces the appearance of dark circles.
Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Punica Granatum Seed Oil, and Rosa Canina Fruit Oil also share the common benefit of being rich in vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that can help to brighten the skin, protect it from environmental stressors, and reduce the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
Punica Granatum Seed Oil can also improve the overall appearance of the skin. Rosa Canina Fruit Oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can calm and soothe the skin and improve its texture and tone.
2. Smooth and Acne Free Skin
Kakadu plums have natural antibacterial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties, which are helpful in preventing acne and treating related skin concerns.
The serum and eye cream both contain Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, which has Omega-6 (linoleic acid), which can help smoothen skin texture. Linoleic acid can help in cell development and treatment of skin disorders such as eczema, acne, and scarring.
When used topically, linoleic acid also has an anti-inflammatory effect and helps to maintain the skin’s natural barrier. Additionally, it protects the skin against bacteria and germs, making it beneficial for conditions such as acne.
The Glow and protect serum also contains Dragon Fruit. It is also a rich source of vitamin C and protects against free radicals. Adding dragon fruit into your daily diet can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by activating fibroblasts that produce new collagen, which keeps the skin firm and strong.
3. Healthier and Supple Skin
Sodium hyaluronate, which is present in both products, easily mixes with water because it is hydrophilic. It increases skin hydration by attracting moisture in skin cells, reducing dryness and flaking when applied topically.
Sodium hyaluronate, a low molecular weight HA, can provide a greater hydrating effect, keeping the skin youthful and supple.
Another substance found in the eye cream, glycogen, can improve the moisture levels of human skin. Glycogen increases the amount of ceramide in the epidermis, which is crucial for retaining moisture in the skin. This could make your skin look more supple and glowing.
Both formulations also contain glycerin, a humectant that helps draw moisture into the skin, thus improving hydration and giving the skin a plump, healthy appearance.
How to Use
To use the Glow and Protect Serum, follow these steps:
- Cleanse your skin thoroughly using the Clean Jelly Oil Cleanser or Micro Polish Cleanser.
- After cleansing your skin, apply a small amount of the Glow and Protect Serum onto your hands and gently press it onto your face.
- Massage the serum into your skin in circular upward and outward motions until fully absorbed.
- Wear an SPF if you are using the serum as part of your morning routine.
To incorporate the Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream and Glow Daily Vitamin C Gel Cream into your routine:
- After cleansing your skin, carefully apply the Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream to the eye contour area and gently massage until fully absorbed.
- Apply the Glow and Protect Serum as described above.
- Massage the Glow Daily Vitamin C Gel Cream onto your face and neck until absorbed as part of your morning routine.
- Follow with an SPF for daytime use or sleeping cream for nighttime use.
It’s important to note that everyone’s skin is different, and some people may be more sensitive to specific ingredients than others. Here are some possible side effects of using REN products if used excessively:
Irritation and Redness:
- Benzyl Alcohol: This is a type of alcohol that is commonly used as a preservative in cosmetics and skincare products. It can help to prevent the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms in the product. However, it can cause skin irritation, itching, and redness.
- Citric Acid: This is an organic acid in many fruits, including lemons and limes. In skincare products, it is used as a pH adjuster and exfoliant. While it can effectively promote cell turnover and brighten the skin, it can also cause stinging, burning, and redness in some people, especially those with sensitive skin.
- Sodium Hydroxide: Also known as lye, this is a highly alkaline substance that is used in many skincare products as a pH adjuster. It can help to neutralize acidic ingredients and promote a balanced pH in the skin. However, it can also cause skin irritation, burning, and redness in some people, especially if used in high concentrations. Prolonged or repeated skin contact may also cause dermatitis.
Skin irritation, rash, and allergy:
- Limonene and Linalool: These are naturally occurring compounds found in the peels of citrus fruits. They are used as a fragrance in skincare products. While they are generally considered safe, they may cause skin irritation, rash, and allergy in some people.
Kakadu plum, dragon fruit, pomegranate, elderberry flower extract, and glycogen are generally considered safe for use on the skin. However, it’s always important to patch-test new products and ingredients before using them on a larger area of skin to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction or sensitivity to any of the ingredients.
Pros and Cons
Glow and Protect Serum:
- Contains vitamin C and magnesium, which are antioxidants that can help protect the skin from environmental damage and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Includes hyaluronic acid, which is a humectant that can help retain moisture in the skin, giving it a plump and hydrated appearance
- Has a lightweight, fast-absorbing texture that is suitable for all skin types
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin, as it also contains glycolic acid, which can be irritating for some people
Radiance Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream
- Includes elderberry flower extract, which is an antioxidant and is rich in vitamin C that can help brighten and even out the skin tone and reduce the appearance of dark circles and puffiness around the eyes
- Has a lightweight texture that is easily absorbed by the delicate skin around the eyes
- May not be effective for severe dark circles or genetic under-eye pigmentation
- Some users may experience irritation or sensitivity due to the inclusion of fragrance in the formula
It’s important to note that individual experiences with skincare products can vary, and what works well for one person may not work well for another. It’s always a good idea to patch-test a new product on a small area of skin before applying it all over your face and to discontinue use if you experience any adverse reactions.
Do They Work?
The Glow and Protect Serum and Radiance Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream from REN Skincare use a combination of ingredients known to brighten the skin, reduce dark circles, and protect against environmental stressors.
Based on the ingredients and customer reviews, these products seem effective and worth buying for those looking for brighter, more radiant skin and a reduction in the appearance of dark circles.
Where to Buy
The Glow and Protect Serum and Radiance Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream are available on the REN Skincare website, www.ren skincare.com. They may also be available at selected retailers and online stores that carry the REN Skincare line.
How long does it take to see results from these products?
Results from skincare products can vary based on individual factors, such as skin type and concerns, but some users may start to notice improvements in skin texture and tone after a few weeks of consistent use.
What is the brand’s shipping or return policy?
REN Skincare offers free shipping on orders over a certain amount, and customers can return unopened products within 30 days of purchase for a refund or exchange. The brand also offers a loyalty program with rewards for repeat purchases.
- Pullar, J. M., Carr, A. C., & Vissers, M. C. M. (2017, August 12). The roles of Vitamin C in Skin Health. Nutrients. Retrieved March 21, 2023, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579659/
- KA;, J. A. L. A. G. R. W. (n.d.). Assessment of extracts of Helichrysum arenarium, crataegus monogyna, Sambucus nigra in photoprotective UvA and UVB; photostability in cosmetic emulsions. Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology. Retrieved March 21, 2023, from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24007865/
- Lin, T.-K., Zhong, L., & Santiago, J. L. (2017, December 27). Anti-inflammatory and skin barrier repair effects of topical application of some plant oils. International journal of molecular sciences. Retrieved March 21, 2023, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5796020/
- Gregoris, E., Pereira Lima, G. P., Fabris, S., Bertelle, M., Sicari, M., & Stevanato, R. (2013). Antioxidant properties of Brazilian tropical fruits by correlation between different assays. BioMed research international. Retrieved March 21, 2023, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3782762/
- Hyaluronic acid: Evaluation of efficacy with different … – madridge. (n.d.). Retrieved March 21, 2023, from https://www.madridge.org/journal-of-chemistry-and-research/ijcr-1000103.pdf
- Yatsuhashi, H., Furuyashiki, T., Vo, P. H. T., Kamasaka, H., & Kuriki, T. (2021, June 11). Effects of glycogen on ceramide production in cultured human keratinocytes via acid sphingomyelinase activation. Journal of applied glycoscience. Retrieved March 21, 2023, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8367632/.
- Sodium hydroxide. Sodium Hydroxide. (n.d.). Retrieved March 21, 2023, from https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/environmental/environmental-health-topics/.
- Kim YW;Kim MJ;Chung BY;Bang du Y;Lim SK;Choi SM;Lim DS;Cho MC;Yoon K;Kim HS;Kim KB;Kim YS;Kwack SJ;Lee BM; (n.d.). Safety Evaluation and risk assessment of D-limonene. Journal of toxicology and environmental health. Part B, Critical reviews. Retrieved March 21, 2023, from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23573938/
Next, check out some similar articles you might find interesting: